Insurance for off-campus activities and travel
Emergency health insurance
University policy says:
- Any member of the University community who is engaged in off-campus activities and travel should have appropriate emergency health coverage. It is recommended that they also have appropriate personal travel insurance (see below)
- Faculty and staff have comprehensive emergency health coverage through their benefits plan
- Postdoctoral fellows and students are offered emergency health coverage through their respective benefits programs. This coverage may be subject to exclusions or limitations such as travel to locations where the Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD) has issued a travel warning, the performance of certain activities or the presence of pre-existing medical conditions
- It is the responsibility of individual travelers to review their emergency health coverage to determine if there are exclusions that are applicable. Should a traveler choose to undertake off-campus activities and travel where an exclusion is present, they are doing so at their own risk and the University assumes no liability or responsibility for emergency health care or related costs should they arise. Further information and resources on emergency health insurance can be found on the Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD) website
Emergency health insurance refers to insurance that covers:
- emergency health expenses while travelling, such as hospital and physician services, prescription drugs, dental care
- health related emergency transportation and evacuation
- trip interruption due to a medical emergency
Travel health insurance for academic staff
Travel health insurance for support staff
Travel health insurance for undergraduate students
Travel health insurance for graduate students
Personal travel insurance
Personal travel insurance refers to insurance that covers aspects of travel not related to health or medical emergencies such as trip cancellation, trip interruption, theft and lost luggage.
Personal travel insurance is not generally provided to faculty, postdoctoral fellows, staff and students through their respective benefits program.
You can arrange for this type of insurance from various sources, including your bank or credit card.
Workers Compensation Board (WCB) coverage
Be aware that you have WCB coverage when engaged in off-campus activities. Go here for more information.